Wednesday 23 August 2017

Japanese Aircraft Online Model Contest 005 - CARLO REITA

Here's my entry for the contest. I wasn't sure if I should submit it as the quality is well below par compared to some of the other models in this contest, but at least it's something out of the ordinary: the 1/72 Kawanishi E8K1 by Choroszy Modelbud. It is my first resin kit and I assumed it was easier.....
The build was complicated as the parts, although very detailed, are very fragile and the instructions sparse. I ended up using a lot of putty and lost some of the details. The interior is also detailed but once finished practically invisible. The only two photos I found were black and white and as I didn't have anything else to go by I painted it according to the instructions: aluminium (XF-16 by airbrush) nearly everywhere and black. Used the Gunze cowling colour for the cowling and the Hinomaru were obtained by masking and spraying an equal parts mix of H3 and H86.
 
- Carlo Reita -
 
 
 
 
 
 

8 comments:

The kit slayer said...

Nice build and finish of an unusual subject. 4.5

Anonymous said...

I like it! I'll give you a point for the unusual subject and a point for working with resin (I would not have the skill/patience). 4.7

(Note: Even if you think your model is not "worthy" it is valuable to other modelers to see your methods of construction and thoughts about the subject and the process you went through to build it. So please share away!)

Wind Swords

Michael Thurow said...

Very remarkable effort on a rare and demanding model. I congratulate you on the result. 4.6

D. Chouinard said...

I agree with "Wind Swords", show your work. It may inspire someone else thinking of taking on a resin kit, and it's also nice to see something different. Great effort! 4.6

Arawasi said...

Agree with all the above comments. Could have been a bit better but overall, a nice effort with a difficult kit. 4.5

Eric Vogel said...

Thank you for showing this beautiful plane . Always a bit tricky to work on a resin model but I like the end result very much.
4.6

Honza78 said...

Very interesting airplane. I'm 4.5.

Fluffy said...

Good work on a tough build

4.3

-ArchFluffy